Sunday, January 31, 2010

Esto no es un supermercado!!!

Hello everyone!
So today I just got back from Granada and I had such a great time. I have to admit that I am a little bit on the side of exhausted right now due to the fact that our group came back from going to a discoteca in the city center at around 3:30 in the morning, but I am happy all the same. I have been trying to post pictures of the trip, but since my internet connection here is next to nothing, I am going to have to wait till my señora gets it installed, so I apologize for the delay in pictures!

Our first day we went to El Generalife and to the Alhambra which were amazing and just as awe-inspiring as my first time there in June 2005. We had an excellent tour-guide who was very knowledgeable about both buildings, but man, there is only so much information I can retain. I also have to admit that during our lecture around the buildings, half the time my friends and I were taking pictures of ourselves pretending to fall into the fountains or dancing in the sultan's mistress's room.

Before our visit to the Alhambra we ate a buffet lunch in our hotel. It was incredible! In fact, it was so good that Calida and I pulled a "scripps-move" on the buffet and decided to bring some fruit and bread back to our room in case we got shaky with hunger later. Though we were successful the first time around, Calida wanted to get one apple for the road down to the Alhambra, yet while she was about to leave the eating area, a man appeared from behind a wall and demanded that "THIS IS NOT A SUPERMARKET!!!" This definitely turned into the joke of our trip.

At night time we ate at a tapas bar that was called "La Bella y El Bestia", (Beauty and the Beast), and despite the kind of awkward name it was so good and cheap! I ordered a "tinto de verano", for 2 euro and it immediately came with sandwich tapas- FREE! So I ended up having another one with a second sandwich, (which our waiter was very surprised by, but come on, I was hungry!), and spend only 4 euro on dinner!

We went dancing afterwards at a club called Granada 10 which appeared to be a converted theatre and played great music! I have to say that my favorite song here thus far is "Show me love" by DJ Antoine, the remix. It came on last night right when Calida and I and our friend from the program were all dancing on top of the speakers in the front of the club and we went absolutely BESERK!! Talk about a great night!

Today we went to the Albacín which is the Granada equivalent for our Barrio de Santa Cruz in Sevilla, (the typical, white-washed houses on tiny winding streets with window boxes full of flowers, according to my teacher "just what the tourists expect"). At the highest point of the Albacín there was this curved monument that was a building of some sort that all these children were climbing up. Of course, I see these little kids taking a running start and climbing up with ease that I think I can do the same, yet alas, leather boots with a flat sole are not the climbing shoes of choice! This one kid taught me his tactic of how to move up it with a foot-hole, but I just couldn't do it! Then after about five people from my own program were successful in climbing up, one of my friends grabbed me from the top and another pushed me up, and man, you should see my smile as I am sitting on top of that building after the struggle that I had experienced! I'll post these pictures soon, they are gems, (yet humiliating ones!).

We went shopping and I bought a Moroccan painting of the word "peace" in Arabic and French, and the best purchase of the trip: HENNA!! Three of my friends already have they hands covered with designs and I did my own on the shaking bus which magically didn't turn out to be a complete disaster!

More to come later!
Take care everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Glad you were able to write about your trip top Granada.

    ReplyDelete