Wednesday, January 6, 2010

why "ciruela"?

Hello everyone!
You might be wondering, "Andy, what in the world is "ciruela"?

Ever since the beginning of Lola, (my "spanish sister" from Madrid), and my friendship, we have been constantly dubbing each other nicknames. While "Andreilla" and "Lolailo" were basically our titles for one another during her stay with my family in 2005-2006, we quickly changed to other names when she discovered my incapability to pronounce her cousins name "Eugenio" and plum "ciruela" with the proper accent during our vacation in Egypt.

I just can't do it. I don't know if it is the strong "g" sound in "Eugenio" or the mix of "zeta" with the slew of vowels in "ciruela" but I sound plain ridiculous. Since "Eugenio" would be one interesting nickname for a girl, "ciruela", or "plum" stuck, as did "jewelry" for Lola due to the difficulty in pronouncing the "j".

Of course I want to adopt a crazy sevillano accent. Of course I want to form new relationships. Of course I want to stuff myself to the brim with pan con tomate y pulpo, but man, it would be the cherry on top of the cake to come back being able to pronounce my own nickname.

First stop........ Madrid!

3 comments:

  1. This is going to be fun! I can't wait to read your second post, mostly likely after you are in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11.1.10

    Hey Andy, que la pases muy, pero muy biƩn; que sigas haciendo muchos amigos y amigas; y que goces de mucho pan con tomate y un toque de un buen vino de vez en cuando! Te quiero mucho, tu tia Patti

    ReplyDelete